Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Via (Caffe') Dante


For the last 16 days, I have been living the mundane hotel life. My home away from home is the Hotel Una Cusani, on Via Cusani 13, Milano, Lombardia, Italy. The next street over is the very famous Via Dante'. This road is primarily a "walking street" that houses many of Milan's most expensive shops. L'Occitance has a shop. Sephora is located here (they had a rousing roof top party on Monday night that I witnessed from a far) and also Izod Lacoste. There are also many other shops that don't have brand names that I recognize, but do have high ticket items for sale.

A walk down this Via and you arrive at the famous Duomo of Milan. A duomo is the town's main Cathedral, but "The Duomo" is located in Milan.

Along Via Dante' you will find many street side caffe's (two f's in Italian). I have frequented many, but my favorite is the Caffe Dante'. The first night, completely jet-lagged, I aimlessly walked Via Dante' and a gentlemen waiter (Enrico) invited me to sit down. It was 9:30 and it was rather late to be having dinner I thought, but Enrico, sensing my delirium, recommended the spaghetti with seafood. It was excellent. Dinner time in Italy, by the way, is typically 8:30 - 9:00.

I have been to the Via Dante' 4 times and Enrico and I have become friends. Enrico offers me a different glass of wine each time. Tonight, while enjoying ridiculously good seafood pizze (Italian spelling) with basil sauce (not tomato), I became "in."

When one frequents a ristorante (also Italian spelling) in Italy you begin to get perks. Tonight, I received my own bottle of wine. Typically, the lesser wines are used as glass wines. The bottles are reserved for paying customers. I only had my customary one glass, but now the more expensive wine was served and the bottle is saved for me for the next two nights. I received this wine at a discounted price (I realize of course that I am now obligated for the next few nights - I don't mind the food & wine is good) and I also was served a free "Mierto" after dinner drink.

Mierto is a popular liquour much like Lemocello. Frequenters of the same restaurant in Italy often receive the entire bottle of Lemoncello at the end of the meal for free as gratis for coming so often to the restaurant.






No comments:

Post a Comment